How to support young english learners at home?

How to support young english learners at home?

How to support young English learners at home?

In a place as transient as Dubai, we often have very high numbers of children move through our school whose native language is not English. One of the most impactful ways to develop their English speaking and writing skills is to engage not only the learner, but also their family. In fact, research points to parents and caretakers as invaluable stakeholders in students’ academic achievement. These language learners vary in their levels of confidence and competence of using English. What is great about Regent, is that this need is catered to so brilliantly in how we plan, resource and deliver our curriculum. The immersive experience that children encounter in the class room, accelerates the development of English language skills faster than many people expect.

Having such a fantastic programme in place in school is wonderful, but this only 25% of the day. The other 75% of the time, children often return home and speak their native language, which in the earlier stages of language development, sometimes stunts acquisition and understanding quite dramatically. Extensive research suggests that parental involvement at home is one of the most important components of developing language and increasing their children’s skill set to help them interact with new learning or new friends.

Now that we find ourselves interacting with the outside world less and spending more time at home, it is more important than ever that we continue to boost the level of English used at home to ensure that our children do not lose this skill. One of the greatest ways for parents to help their children develop their English is by attempting to model English themselves. When parents are able to use English at home, more opportunities will arise for children to practice speaking and listening. This shared experiences of parents and children practicing their new skills together can be a great motivator.

In this Mindful Monday session, we will look at top tips to support English Language Learners at home, across a variety of ages groups, providing you with ways to feel more confident in supporting the development of this skill. We will explore the different ways in which the family can develop proficiency with English language whilst at home, through a selection of different games both on and offline and ways in which we can question our children.

If you want to learn more about how to support your children in developing English language skills at home, you should tune into our Mindful Monday session on Monday the 8th of March 2021. 

    popup

    Have you seen our latest Options Booklet for Key Stage 4 (Years 10 & 11) yet?

    Regent’s secondary curriculum is distinguished with its unique Project-Based Learning (PBL) pedagogy where students develop products and solutions for real-world problems. We offer an Outstanding British education culminating in the GCSEs in Years 10 and 11, and A levels in Years 12 and 13. Book a Secondary School Tour now and learn how a Regent education can transform your child. Submit your e-mail ID to download the Options Booklet now.

    You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

    There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

    Regent International School | British Curriculum | Best School in Dubai will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.

    Here is your Options Booklet!

    DOWNLOAD NOW